Salted Caramel Sponge
Prep Time : 00h 00
Cooking Time : 00h 00
Servings Number : 1 person
Created by Carole from IT, this showstopping salted caramel cake is quite remarkable!
- 4 eggs (Weigh them in shells to calculate below quantities)
- Soft margarine (equivalent to same weight as eggs)
- Caster sugar (equivalent to 1/2 weight as eggs)
- Soft brown sugar (equivalent to 1/2 weight as eggs)
- Self-raising flour (equivalent to same weight as eggs)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- For the icing:
- 150g Salted butter (softened)
- 300g Icing sugar
- 2 heaped tbsp Tiptree Salted Caramel Spread
- + 2 extra tsp for drizzling
- Weigh eggs in shells and use this weight as the amount you need for each of the sugar, margarine and flour.
- Beat both types of sugar with margarine until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 egg and 1 TBSP flour and mix, repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Sift and fold in remaining flour gently with a metal spoon.
- Grease and flour 2 x 8” sandwich tins.
- Divide mixture evenly between both tins. Spread and level each one.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes 170C until golden and shrinking away from side of tin.
- Whilst cake is baking make buttercream by mixing together the icing sugar and butter, mix until light and smooth.
- Stir in 2 generous TBSP’s of Salted Caramel Spread.
- When cake has cooled spread half the icing on one sponge top with the second and either spread or pipe the remaining buttercream on top.
- Put 2 TSP salted caramel spread in a microwaveable pot and warm gently for 5 seconds at a time until runny.
- Place in a small greaseproof icing back, snip a small hole in the end and drizzle the yummy spread all over the top of your cake.
- Pop the kettle on, have a cuppa and enjoy.