Baked Apple Meringue
This is a festive version but at other times of the year stuff the apples with sultanas and brown sugar instead of mincemeat. By slitting the skin all the way round the top half will lift off easily.
Recipe by Sally Carpenter for Wilkin & Sons Ltd.
- 4 Bramley Cooking Apples
- 4 tbsp Tiptree Mincemeat
- Knob of Butter
- 2 Eggs - just the whites
- 2 tbsp Castor Sugar
- Pre-heat your oven at 200 degrees.
- Remove core from centre of apple – keeping apple whole and don’t go right through apple.
- Slit the skin all the way round the apple, not too deep.
- Place apples on shallow buttered ovenproof dish.
- Fill apples with mincemeat and put a knob of butter on top.
- Pour wine glass of water round base of apples.
- Bake for 35min depending on the size of the apple.
- Reduce oven temperature to 150 degrees.
- Remove the upper half of the apple skin.
- Beat egg whites until stiff then fold in castor sugar.
- Coat the top half of apple with meringue, sprinkle with extra castor sugar.
- Return apples to oven for about 5 minutes until meringue just golden.
- Serve with Cornish Clotted Cream.