Hot cross bun pudding
Hot cross bun pudding recipe
- 2½ Individual Hot Cross Buns – depending on size
1 heaped tbsp Tiptree Marmalade
- 2 tbsp Sultanas
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 tbsp Castor Sugar
- 1 pint Full Fat Fresh Milk
- 1/2 Lemon – rind
- 1 Whole Nutmeg for grating
- Fresh Orange and/or Lemon - garnish
- Set oven at 180c or 165c fan.
- Split Hot cross buns and then cut in half.
- Melt butter in shallow oven dish.
- Turn buns in butter so that both sides are lightly coated.
- Spread marmalade over the buns.
- Scatter sultanas across buns.
- Heat milk with lemon rind – do not boil.
- Whisk eggs with sugar then slowly whisk in the milk.
- Strain milk onto buns and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Grate nutmeg over pudding.
- Stand pudding dish in a Bain Marie (stand the pudding dish in a large dish or tin half filled with warm water).
- Cook for about 20 minutes until lightly set with just a wobble. The time will depend on the depth of the pudding – we used a shallow dish – but deeper dishes may take more time.
- For the garnish: Remove a very thin layer of peel from the orange and/or lemon, put in a pan of hot water, simmer for 3 minutes until fruit softens, rinse in cold water and drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle onto pudding.
- Serve warm with fresh single cream